Did you ever learn that Ambition was a bad thing?
I know there have been several times in my life when teachers and bosses have discouraged ambition as a selfish motive.
However, I agree with the great Jim Rohn that Ambition is Powerful, and Necessary for Success.
The Power of Ambition…
In his book (and audio) of this title, Mr. Rohn discusses how to make sure your ambition serves you.
He starts by explaining Ambition as more of your Personal Drive toward success.
If you don’t have a destination, how will you get there? You must have a healthy sense of Ambition to put the plan in motion toward success!
Before diving into the instructional part of the book, Mr. Rohn reminds us that for your the real Power of Ambition lies in Service. In order for your ambition to serve you, you must seek your ambition in service to others. This is the true nature of Servant Leadership. With each of the practices laid out, you must strive to serve others.
This is one of the greatest attributes of Network Marketing. The best way to seek your own ambition and build success is by helping others to build theirs. What a great business!
He gives a classic Jim Rohn list for us to follow as we plan for our future success.
The book lists Six Building Blocks of Ambition to start moving toward success:
- Positive Self-Direction – Know who you are, where you want to go, and work on a plan to get there.
- Self-Reliance – No one else will give you a lift. You must remember that your results are determined by the value you add to the marketplace.
- Self-Discipline – One of the most powerful tools you need. Mr. Rohn reminds us that “an ounce of self-discipline weighs much less than a pound of regret.” Self-discipline must be practiced in small ways every day.
- Self-Enterprise – Keep your eyes open and your mind active to be resourceful and see opportunities when they come along.
- Working with others – The Golden Rule of how you treat others the way you wish to be treated. Also, give credit where due to be a good team member and leader.
- Self-Appreciation – Acknowledge when you have set your sails in a proper direction, and celebrate your small wins.
Power of Ambition: In addition to the Building Blocks, there are Three Cornerstones for Success when tapping into your Ambition:
- Focused Concentration – Shut out distractions when you are working on an important project, even if that project is making your daily phone calls.
- Resilience – There is no yellow brick road. You will have ups and downs, and being able to bounce back up from a disappointment is what will help you become a better leader.
- Integrity – Non-negotiable. If you want a long-term, successful business, you must practice integrity in business and life. Period. Walk the Talk.
Remember, “Don’t Wish It Was Easier, Wish You Were Better.” – Jim Rohn
Power of Ambition: Check out the video below a little more on the Building Blocks and Cornerstones…
I listened to the book with a monthly Audible credit. It’s great being able to check out a new book each month with just a “click.”
At a run time of about 6.5 hours, it only took a few morning walks and trips to the gym to listen to this one. (Confession – I do speed it up a bit.)
Click HERE to get this book on Amazon/Audible.
Ready to grow your Home Business with Speed and Strength?
Click HERE to get my new Rapid Business Builder video with Bonus Downloads.
Penny Kelley is a professional business coach, wife, mom of two great kids and one spoiled cat, soccer fan and wine lover, who loves the freedom of a home business.
Click HERE to visit my blog if you are reading this on social media.